May 13 – 17, 2013
International Theatre Academy in Massa Carrara.
Intensive practical training, lectures and discussions guided by the Russian theatre director and teacher Sergei Ostrenko. Participants will become acquainted with Ostrenko Method formed and inspired by the greatest figures of the Russian Theatre Tradition and the newest experiments in performing arts.
1) Director’s preparation from reading of the play until meeting with the actors.
- Emotional penetration into the play – repeated reading, contemplation of images, active story telling, etc.
- Formulation of the plot – brief story about the main conflict.
- Discovery of the basic events and actions – initial, final, main and central events; through actions of all characters; counter-actions and conflicts.
- Analysis the given circumstances – space, time, objects.
- Exploring the main traits of the characters – what does the script itself reveals about the characters and what do the characters reveal about themselves and other characters.
- Immersion into the material – exploring the epoch, biography of the author, personal correspondence of the author, critiques and reviews of the time.
- Formulation of the super-objective of the performance – connecting all characters through actions and the super-objective.
Composing the Performance:
- “Irresponsible” composition of crazy ideas.
- Avoiding cliche and stereotypes.
- Composition of style.
- Determination of the genre.
- Search of the form of the performance.
- The period time of expectation and ripening.
- Check-up by the play.
- Director, composer, designer, choreographer – the team of leaders.
- Some words about casting.
- Letter of motivation stating the workshop title and dates – scholarship application essay/personal statement. Applicants should demonstrate strong motivations and clearly describe the reasons why they should be considered eligible for the scholarship and how this will contribute to their professional development.
- Detailed CV describing all specific practical skills and abilities.
- Evidence of age – scanned passport copy or identity card.
- Latest head shot and 2-3 additional photos.
- Any additional material describing professional experience: web links to past projects and performances, photo, video, reviews, articles, interviews, etc. Applicants may also include the details of any other scholarships or awards they holds or have held.
10:00-13:00 Practical training.